A mysterious candy ruined a festive Quinceanera in San Francisco and sent at least 14 people to the hospital, including seven children, who ate the unidentified substance, according to local reports.
One of the youngest victims — a 9-year-old child — was hospitalized in critical condition as other guests fell ill late Saturday with symptoms described as heart palpitations, shortness of breath and rashes, according to KTNV-TV.
The 15-year-old girl’s birthday party fell into disarray at around 10:15 p.m. as sick revelers at the Women’s Building in the historic Mission District called 911 after reportedly eating watermelon-flavored gummies.
“All victims ate a candy that is described as a gummy ring type of a candy,” San Francisco Fire Department spokesman Jonathan Baxter told the Mission Local blog.
A woman leaving the celebration told the Bay Area television station she saw some victims with “bubbles forming near their mouth.”
Paramedics were seen carrying several guests, including two older men, out of the community center and loading them into several ambulances parked outside.
Baxter said the Department of Public Health and San Francisco Police Department have not identified the substance as of early Sunday.
By Nicole Hensely