It was a sad day to farmers on Thursday in a tobacco growing district of Kasungu when fire gutted down 151 bales of tobacco which were packed in a truck ready for sale.
The incident occurred on 18 August,2016 at the junction of Estate 81 along Lilongwe-Mzuzu road.
According to information made available to News Watch Reviews, it shows the fire erupted from a binding fault of a truck, SCANIA with registration number BR 5516 and burned into ashes all the 151 bales of barley tobacco on board.
News Watch Reviews understands that the tobacco bales belonged to various farmers and were being delivered to Chinkhoma Auction Floors in Kasungu for sales.
On the material day, Mr Gabriel Mkwinda, 39, of Kanjuchi village under Traditional Authority Khosolo in Mzimba district was driving the vehicle in question from Mzuzu. Upon reaching Estate 81turn off, the vehicle developed a binding fault that caused fire sparks.
The fire sparks fell on some bales of tobacco which resulted into fire that gutted the whole bales of tobacco on board. Efforts to extinguish the fire were made but all in vain as all the bales of tobacco in question went out to flames.
However, the vehicle was not damaged completely by the fire as the flaming tobacco bales were thrown down from the vehicle before it had caught fire.
The value of the damaged tobacco is not yet known.