A 42 year old Indian woman identified as Nasim Mirza, sustained burn wounds on the face, back, hands and legs following fire that caught their house on Wednesday at Mapale area in Mzuzu.
The victim is currently admitted at Mzuzu Centre Hospital receiving medical treatment.
According to Mzuzu deputy pulic relations officer Cecilia Mfune said that her husband Mr Mirza Salim Beg told the police that the victim was sleeping and other occupants of the house had gone for evening prayers.
“She did not know about the fire up until the watchman and some well wishers noticed it, they broke into the house through the window and successfully rescued her”, said Cecilia.
However, further effort to put out the fire yielded nothing thereby resulting in the whole house being razed down.
Meanwhile Police are yet to establish the cause of the fire and the value of the damage as the owner could not tell since he is still in shock.