In a suspected terror attack, a truck rammed into a crowd marking the national day of France in Nice on Thursday evening, leaving at least 84 people dead.
The attack was the latest in a string of horrific incidents that have unfolded across Europe in the past 18 months . In March, Islamic State attackers killed 32 people in suicide bombings at the Brussels airport and a metro station.
France was rocked by a devastating terrorist attack in November, when heavily armed suicide bombers killed 130 people in several places around Paris.
A police source confirmed that the suspect was a 31 year old Tunisian born man, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, who was known to French police for committing common crimes but was not known to outside intelligence sources.
The president has said that the country would maintain the 10,000 strong homeland security force that had been protecting France during an eight-month state of emergency, and that he would call up military and police reservists to help relieve the existing forces.
The truck struck the crowd after a fireworks display for the French national day on the Promenade des Anglais, a seaside walk in this southern French city.
France has declared three days of mourning beginning Saturday and flags will fly at half-mast.
Sources from France says that an operation is currently underway at the dead suspect’s home in Nice. Bouhel who has been shot dead by French police, has left his French identity card in the hired 19 tonne lorry used to murder dozens of people on Thursday night.
The French authorities have launched Anti-terror investigations